Srishti Software riding the wave of the Hospital Management Information Systems (HMIS) booming Business - Tech Tribe
Srishti Software riding the wave of the Hospital Management Information Systems (HMIS) booming Business
27 Oct 2008
The Client: Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology .
About them: Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology is one of the largest government hospitals specializing in cardiology in India. Inaugurated in 1990 Jayadeva is located in Bangalore, catering to the needs of over 700 patients each day.
In the last eighteen years, since inception, Jayadeva, as it is popularly known, caters to the Cardiology requirements of Karnataka and the neighbouring states. Lakhs of Cardiology operations have been performed at this superspeciality centre with an average per day earning clocking to about Rs. 15 lakhs. Today, Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology is counted among the top Superspeciality hospitals in the country, with highly qualified surgeons, excellent post-operative and in- & out-patient care.
Sri Jayadeva is a hospital that caters to a growing population of Karnataka and its neighbouring districts. The hospital offers pre-, operative- and post-operative care for over 750 cardiology patients per day. And this number is ever increasing with each passing day.
"We were using a software that had been developed by a company called Indian Automotive Services, a company that did not exist anymore,"reminiscence Captain Venugopal Reddy, Financial Advisor, Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology. "Not only was this software, operating as a legacy application, being a general maintenance solution, it did not address the unique needs of a large hospital like our."
"Our key pain points were complete disparate applications, giving data at different time cycles, thereby delaying the turn around time for decision making with absolutely no accountability and traceability."
Some of the key pain points faced by them include:
1. Complete lack of trackability of patient data; from the time a patient comes in for registration, to the entire cycle of initial consultation, tests, followed by report generation, to further requirement-specific consultancy, to operative and post-operative payments.
2. With no password protection and realtime report generation of patients registering, there was no accountability and even less e-security. Thus leaving the data vulnerable to misappropriation at the seven registration counters spread across the hospital premises.
3. Disparate and de-centralized multiple applications working in isolation resulted in further delay in data and report generation for the patients post tests.
4. As the hospital also gives different concessions to patients Below the Poverty Line (BPL) at sometimes 50% and on others even a 100% fee waiver, the time spent by each patient at the registration counter was long and tiresome.
5. A full Financial Report Development each day was a tedious task often undertaken manually with data retrieved from each system individually.
All this resulted in long Ques and waiting time for the patients.
"The patient at an average follows the route of OPD registration, doctor consultation, back to cash-counter for payment of prescribed tests, actual test performance, report generation, meeting with the specialist, prescribed solutions and next consultancy. In case the patient has to undergo an operation, his visit to the cash-counter increases further. Our aim in upgrading the solution to a customized and upgraded version was to ease these logistical pain points,"recalls Reddy.
In short, Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology was looking for a well-integrated solution that could bring in accountability and trackability by being centralized and could give Realtime information and backup, and a high level of e-security with user authentication. And they wanted all this at an affordable price.
The Srishti Advantage
"We evaluated a number of solution providers available in the market and decided to go with Srishti Software," confirms Reddy. "This was primarily because they were able to provide a robust solution that was highly customizable. Additionally, we could see Srishti Software is able to provide post-implementation handholding and support that is key to us."
Srishti's HMIS provides the ability to support modern healthcare services. Christened PARAS it is the answer to the needs of a one-stop technology for HIS. Srishti's PARAS is built on the philosophies of integration of the entire spectrum of healthcare technology enablers and Srishti's powerful tool-kit approach, which makes healthcare back-end services break loose from the constraints of technology limitations.
Srishti identified PARAS Lite, a solution targeted at the medium segment hospitals. "One of the reasons for selecting PARS Lite was the phased implementation model that Jayadeva had chosen," reminiscence Sharma. "Hence our strategy has been to first automate the basic business areas like patient administration system, stores, inventory etc. And once they have been automated we plan to PARAS - the solution targeted at mid to large segment hospitals, which is an enterprise class solution so that all business areas are automated delivering huge cost savings for the management."
"As Jayadeva is a fast growing hospital performing extremely vital operations, our aim from the start has been to offer a robust, centralized, well-integrated, real-time solution that can play a key role in its day-to-day functions," said Ajay Sharma, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, Srishiti Software.
"Being present in a key industry like theirs, we realized the importance of customizing to their requirements and providing post implementation hand-holding and AMCs if required. Thus our aim from day one has been to implement various upgrades of PARAS in phases, ensuring complete usage of the solution to enable better security, accountability and better turn around time."
The actual implementation of Phase I took about 15 days. This was followed by customization based on client-requirements and training and monitoring of all identified personnel. Some of the areas of customization included insurance billing, corporate billing, BPL variable billing, integration of file-to-file transfer with the hospital bankers.
Today, Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology is the country's first government hospital to roll out a high-end solution of this caliber.
The implementation has enabled the hospital in getting real-time access across the counters, ensuring financial transparency and security. With realtime information access the time taken for consolidation and decision-making has reduced dramatically. Real-time analysis based-on report generation and transactions is reflected in the information dash-board for the management
Currently, as a part of Phase II, the Inventory Management process is being implemented by Srishti.
Post Phase I of implementation some of the advantages already being perceived include:
1) Real time availability of data/report across the entire patient-cycle .
2) Improved trace-ability and accountability at the counters
3) Faster data entry with the use of short-key, resulting in faster patient movement
4) Faster report generation resulting in Jayadeva being able to process all patients' test reports within 2-3 hours. Thereby cutting down on the waiting time for consultations
5) More secure data with strong back-up
6) With centralized monitoring, Jayadeva is able to provide greater security and trac-ability to its financial department
7) With data collation and analysis, today there is a marked improvement in statistical analytics including information like how many patients, which doctor consulted whom, number of in & out patients, test revenue generation, counter-wise collection etc. Thus contributing in a big way in future logistics planning.
Post the successful implementation of Phase II, Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology plans to integrate labs and test reports with Srishti's out patient-report.
"Srishti Software has worked with us in improving every area of our hospital, from helping us to improve our production flow and order entry processes, to reporting functions. All of this has helped us to provide excellent patient care," confirms a very satisfied Captain Reddy.